The town was founded on a road built by the censor Emilio Scauro in the Roman Age. It was a typical seaside village overlooking a small cove at the mouth of the homonymous stream, crossed by a Roman bridge.
In its tiny harbor the river Poggio has its mouth crossed by a stone bridge of Roman origin, rebuilt in the Middle Ages. Here come the fishermen with their boats after a day at sea fishing.
The first records of the parish date back to the thirteenth century on the occasion of a bequest of money to purchase a lab coat to be used, in fact, in the church of Santa Maria di Sessarego.
Significant example of Baroque church, it was built in 1737 according to the design by Gio Antonio Ricca, belonging to a family of architects involved in the construction of numerous religious buildings in Genoa, such as San Torpete.
The Brotherhood of Santa Chiara of Bogliasco is remembered as one of the oldest of Liguria; its birth is due, probably, to contacts with the “Bianchi” of Provence, who preached a return to poverty like St. Francis of Assisi wanted.
Emotions by the sea
Traces of history
Scents and flavours
A sea of gardens
Wellness in Province
Sea&Diving in Province
Local produce & Market Guide
Tutta la provincia
Provincia di Genova
Piazzale Mazzini, 2
Numero Verde 800.50.94.20
Centralino +39.010 54.991 - +39.010 54.991
URP +39.010.54.99.456 - +39.010.54.99.456
Sito web http://www.provincia.genova.it